Welcome to the Sales Lab. Our lab is in the Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering at Drexel University.
Our overarching interest is in enhancing our understanding of the microbial systems and plasma applications at the nexus of food, energy, and water, in both natural and engineered environments.
His research group studies microbes and non-thermal plasma technologies at the nexus of food, energy, and water systems using an array of molecular biology, microbiology, and analytical chemistry laboratory techniques with bioinformatic, data science, and computational modeling methods.
Particular research focus areas in our group include:
- biodegradation of environmental contaminants
- biodegradation and biopurification of plastic polymers
- biotechnologies for energy and resource recovery from waste streams
- degradation and the environmental fate and transport of the emerging class of contaminants known as poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)
- research and development of innovate non-thermal plasma technologies for food safety, public health, and environmental applications
- use of microbes to improve the sustainability of infrastructure materials, such as concrete